by Andrea Mulder-Slater
To celebrate the holidays, we've decided to post a photo of a work of art (available for sale in our studio/gallery) each day between December 1st and 24th.
December 6, 2013
Today's photo is a Geoff Slater painting of New Brunswick's second oldest lighthouse - Head Harbour Light (East Quoddy Light). It is located on Campobello Island - the beloved isle of late U. S. President, Franklin D. Roosevelt.
The lighthouse was built in 1829 as a means of helping ships in the area navigate the famous Bay of Fundy fog, high tides, and the treacherous rocks surrounding Campobello Island.
The original octagonal, wooden tower is still in use, and although the light still shines into the bay, it is no longer staffed. There are, however, interpreters on hand to fill you in on the history of the structure and the island.
Known as the "Head Harbour Light" to local residents, the tower is designated as a Classified Heritage Site. The tower has a white-shingled exterior, painted with a red cross. It is believed this distinctive day mark has been on the tower since at least 1850. It is the older sister light of West Quoddy Light in Lubec, Maine.
Head Harbour Light
6" x 8"(unframed)